2022 GES Second Cycle School Selection Guidelines
The Ghana Education Service (GES) has issued a guideline for the selection of second-cycle schools to ensure the smooth placement of the 2022 qualified BECE candidates.
As part of measures to ensure a smooth placement of qualified BECE candidates for 2022, the Ghana Education Service/ Technical and Vocational Education and Training Service (GES/TVETS) have put in place the following arrangements for the information of parents/guardians/teachers/candidates and the general public.
A. Grouping of Schools
All second cycle institutions have been grouped into CATEGORIES as follows:
- Public Second Cycle Institutions: Four (4) groups namely Categories A, B, C and D. II.
- All Technical and Vocational Education and Training institutions have been categorised into A, B and C, and added to SHS/ SHTS”
B. Updates Added
- One hundred and thirty-nine (139) TVETS institutions previously under various ministries have been added
- Appendix 1: contains Detailed Technical and Vocational Education and Training Service (TVETS) programmes
- Appendix 2: contains detailed subjects of the Technical Programmes in the Sec/Tech. institutions
- Appendix 3: contains Special Boarding Schools for the Sixth (6th) Choice
- Appendix 4: contains list of Special Education Division (SPED) Schools
- Sample choice: Some examples of correct and wrong choice patterns
- Some schools have been moved to different Categories (Recategorised)
- Before Selection of Schools and Programmes
Before making any selection of schools and programmes offered in these schools, parents are advised to note that all schools selected (1st to 6th) are considered in the placement of candidates.
- Conditions for selection of schools
Candidates with guidance from parents/guardians and school authorities;
- Must choose Six (6) schools (1st – 6th choices) in all
- Must select programmes and accommodation for each selected school
- Must choose a compulsory day as 6th choice (Catchment Area School) or choose boarding School from the list of schools in Appendix 3
- Must list 1st to 5th choices in order of preference
- Candidates who wish to offer purely TVET Programmes must select all six (6) TVETS schools from CATEGORY A, B and C as Day or Boarding”
- Cannot choose more than one (1) School from Category A
- Cannot select more than two (2) schools from Category B
- May select five (5) choices from Category C and One (1) from Category D (Day) or Appendix 3 (Special Boarding)
PRIVATE SHS and PRIVATE TVET SCHOOLS are not BENEFICIARIES of FREE SHS
Candidates who desire to pursue courses in private schools should make their own arrangements with the Private SHS or PRIVATE TVET.
The school register will soon be released by GES to enable all 2022 BECE candidates to select their choices of school following the guidelines stated above.