Persons get confused with the various courses offered by the various universities in Ghana. This occurs mostly when individuals get the desire to climb the academic ladder. Many end up purchasing the wrong application voucher or form. This article mainly covers Direct applicants, Mature applicants, Post Diploma applicants, Graduate & Post Graduate Diploma applicants.


Direct application has to do with a person who wants to use his/her WASSCE/SSCE certificate to gain entry into a tertiary institution.


This deals with persons who do not have the requirement to be admitted into a tertiary institution and will have to sit for a mature entrance exam which will qualify them for admission.

SEE ALSO:  JUST IN: GES to organize workshops for this category of teachers in the primary & JHS

For example, a person having the requirement as a WASSCE applicant with D7 and above in his/her results and is above 25 years qualifies to apply as a mature applicant. Hence, a mature entrance exam needs to be written to enhance his/her chances of qualification into the institution.

Exams that are mostly written include General Aptitude test-GAT & Subject Area Test-SAT. Note that not only WASSCE Applicants can apply for mature but also Diploma and Higher National Diploma (HND) holders can also apply as Mature. Also, note that there is mature distance and mature direct as well.

SEE ALSO:  Conditions of Service: Immediate actions needed to be taken by GNAT


This course or programme is mainly designed for the individuals who have diploma in a specific field of discipline and want to further in the same filed.

For example, Having Diploma in Basic Education and wants to pursue it by 2years (Basic Education) or 3 or 4years (Secondary education) will lead to you being awarded a Bachelor’s Degree Certificate.


Here, individuals with their first degrees in either basic or secondary education are qualified to apply. Individuals who want to apply for the Second Degree (Masters) upwards such as Master’s Degree in Education (M.Ed.), Master of Arts (M.A), Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)

SEE ALSO:  New reopening date for SHS 3 students will promote an uninterrupted instructional period-GES


This programme is mostly designed for graduates without education background and want to pursue education for a year.

There are people who are in the teaching fraternity from different fields. For such people to qualify as professional teachers, they need to pursue a one-year educational course.
Previous articleNEW: NTC asks heads of pre-tertiary schools to create institutional Email Addresses-Procedures
Next articleGSS releases list of shortlisted applicants for the 2021 Population and Housing Census-Check List


  1. I’m already a practising teacher and want to further but want to do secondary education. Do I apply direct or I should indicate post diploma since I have my diploma?

    • If you already have a diploma, then you will choose a post diploma course.

    • What if you have a bachelor of education degree (in English) and want to pursue bachelor of arts in English, for example, or a different degree altogether?

  2. Please when is the ucc distance forms for secondary will come out


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here