The Executives of the Ghana National Association of Teachers (GNAT) held an emergency meeting on Saturday, 15th May, 2021 to discuss Issues pertaining to minimum wage, teachers upgrading issues, and many more. The meeting was held at Abankro, Kumasi in the Ashanti Region.
The following were the outcomes of the meeting;
- Council protested against the change of name of the GNAT Provident Fund to teacher’s provident fund as a way of getting more teachers on board. This was resisted because GNAT spent its money on establishing the fund.
- Those involved in orchestrating the change of name of the fund, from GNAT provident fund to teachers provident fund, ie the Board was dissolved with immediate effect.
- An interim three (3) member committee board has been set up to work to reverse the change of name and manage affairs until the substantive board is appointed in September 2021.
- A motion was raised for the National Treasure, Rev. Mrs. Hannah Odjeiman Botchwey to step aside since she was found complicit in the former dissolved board for investigations to be carried on her.
- The Swedish /Ghana Medical Centre (SGMC) which is fully owned by GNAT pleaded with councilors to speak to their members to take a look at the current contribution of GH¢2.00.00 to be reviewed since the centre is facing a lot of challenges in terms of staff and patience accommodation, ambulance modern surgical equipment’s PET scan, etc.
- Credit mall being rebranded with Platform Administration System, eCommerce marketplace, End-User Mobile App, Digital Lending Solution, Payment Processing Solution, Merchant Mobile App, and Virtual Card System. They have also promised members that this time they will deal directly with factories for their goods in other to sell affordable goods to members.
- Teachers fund has purchased a unique insurance company. By September 2021 members would be informed about the mode of operations and policies that would be run by the company.
- GNAT Lacoste T-shirts are ready for the rest of the regions yet to be supplied at the national headquarters and would soon be dispatched to the regions for onward distribution to members/ teachers.
- Issues from the labor front
(i) New minimum Wages: Technical committee has finished its work and there would be a meeting on Wednesday, 19th May, 2021 to fix the new minimum wage.
(ii) Responsibility Allowance: Templates were sent to the MMDEs offices to be filled by affected teachers. The filled forms would be vetted and hopefully by June, 2021 those who qualify will be paid.
(iii) Upgrading of Teachers: GNAT met with GES and templates were issued to be completed and submitted to headquarters at the various education offices by affected or deserving teachers.
(iv) Promotion: Results are yet to be released, teachers are cautioned to beware of scammers who call demanding money to massage the result for them.
(v) Pension: The National Labour Commission raised concerns against SSNIT on the pass credit used to pay recently pensioners and it was realized that SSNIT used Bank of Ghana rate instead of the National Pensions Regulatory Authority (NPRA) rate. SNNIT has thus resolved to pay arrears to those who were under paid.
(vi) Licensure Registration: All teachers in public and private schools are mandated to register on the Teachers portal for the teacher’s license. Private school teachers will pay GH¢200.00 when they register instructions to register are already in the media.