DMCA.com Protection Status

One Teacher, One Laptop: Available pieces and cost involved; GES calls for escrow

The Ghana Education Service (GES) has called for an escrow after revealing the number of laptop pieces available and the cost involved under the ‘one teacher, one laptop’ initiative.

A statement endorsed by the Director-General of GES, Prof. Kwasi Opoku Amankwah reveals that the number of laptops to be distributed are Two Hundred and Eighty Thousand (280,000) pieces. According to the statement, the government is to pay 70% of the cost while the individual teachers pay the remaining 30%.

Advertisement

The GES has disclosed that the cost of the laptop will not only be borne by the teacher therefore the amount to be paid by teachers will be deducted from the Continuous Professional Allowance when it is paid in due course.

“The 30% of the cost of the laptop worth up to Five Hundred and Nine Ghana Cedis (GHS 509.00). This amount is expected to be paid out of the teachers’ continuous professional allowance” the statement added.

Advertisement

According to the GES, there are indications that the Continuous Professional Development Allowance will be paid in due course hence it has requested the Controller and Accountant General’s Department (CAGD) to deduct the amount involved at source. The deducted monies are expected to be paid into the Ghana Education Service Occupational Pension Scheme (GESOPS) account.

The statement additional reveals that the number of teachers to receive the laptops is more than 280,000 hence the amount that will be paid into GESOP accounts will be in excess of 280,000.

Advertisement

The GES has therefore directed GESOP to open an escrow account the amount in relation to the 280,000 pieces of laptops.

“You are expected to pay out the amount in relation to the 280,000 pieces of laptops and should open an interest yielding escrow account and pay the remainder into same”, the statement added.

Advertisement

The service has indicated that the move (interest yielding escrow) will be used to finance any additional laptops which might be necessary to acquire to be able to supply the laptops to the teachers who will not be covered by the 280,000.

RELATED:

Advertisement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
error: Do not copy content. Copy and face a DCMA Suit.